Thakur Publication | Contemporary India & Education
- Name of the Textbook: Contemporary India & Education
- Author(s): Dr. Prachi Raizada, Dr. Madhavi Srivastava & Ram Prakash
- Publisher: Thakur Publication
- ISBN: 978-93-88280-66-2
- Language: English
- Book: New
- (Save with offers) Pay with (Debit/Credit,Paytm,UPI,Gpay,Phonepe) and get 3% refund in 24 hr.
- Cash on Delivery: available
- Replace: 5 Days Replacement
- No-Contact Delivery
Unit I: Educational Policies in Pre-Independent India
· Brief review of nature and provisions of education during the Vedic age, Buddhist period and Muslim period, Introduction of modern (European) education in India, Efforts for promotion of education from 1813 to 1854
· Education policy of the British (Indian) government between 1857 and 1947 with implications for socio-economic development and national conscience. Movement for compulsory education in India-Gokhale Bill 1910, Sadler commission 1917, Hartog committee and Basic Education 1937. (Brief Summary and outline only)
Unit II: Educational Policies in Post-Independence India
· A critical review of commission reports and policy documents through a thematic focus, linking the contemporary context with salient debates since independence: Mudaliar Commission (1952), Education Commission (1964-66), NPE 1968, NPE 1986 and its modified version 1992
· Knowledge Commission, Idea of Common School System, National System of Education, Language Policy, Learning without Burden-1993 and the National Curriculum Framework 2005.
Unit III: The Constitutional Context
· Education as a means of social justice in the Indian Constitution, Constitutional values and education (Preamble, Fundamental rights and duties), Right to Free and Compulsory Education 2010 (RTE) and inclusion, Education in the concurrent list and its implications.
· Initiatives of Govt. of India: SSA (Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan), RMSA (Rashtriya Madhyamik Siksha Abhiyan), Educational Provisions for minorities, SC, ST and Girls.
Unit IV: The System and Its Structures
· Schools in India: Types and affiliation, schools run by autonomous institutions of the Central government (KVS, NVS, Sainik Schools, etc.), schools run by the State Governments, private schools, international schools, looking at institutional structures and stratification within the context of concerns for ‘quality’ and equity, management and public participation
· Role of key institutions in shaping the policy and discourse of education: NCTE, NCERT, NIOS, Boards of Education, etc.; Role of Directorates of Education and local bodies e.g. Panchayati Raj institutions, municipal bodies.